My car is totaled – what can I do if the insurance won’t pay what it’s worth?

If you don’t agree with what the insurance company is offering you for your car after it’s considered a “total loss,” there are several things you can do.

First, you can ask them for their written review and what source they used for the value. They must provide you with a written account of how they arrived at their numbers, and they must usually be based on an approved source method (such as Kelly Blue Book or NADA) as specified by your state’s insurance regulations.

For example, in Pennsylvania, you can search the NADA list by make, model, mileage, and condition. You can also search for several “similar” vehicles for sale in your area. If this is the case, you can present these prices to the insurance company to try and negotiate the price. You must provide written evidence of these other sources. It would be sufficient to simply tell the appraiser an amount that you have seen.

There are certain laws that might allow you to file a lawsuit, e.g. B. Consumer Protection Laws. Pennsylvania has the Unfair Trading Practices and Consumer Protection Act, which protects insurance buyers from unfair or deceptive practices. For more information about the laws that apply to you, contact your state’s insurance regulator.

If they still don’t pay what you think is a fair price, you should contact an attorney. It’s important to remember that you don’t have to simply accept their offer as the only amount they have to pay.